Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future.

Thursday, February 02, 2012

Games to Play with Baby


 Playing with an infant can sometimes seem more like playing with yourself, but it is actually very stimulating and important for baby's growth - just like reading! I had planned on posting some games a while back, just never got around to it, so here I am in full force... (At least until baby K wakes up.)

It really has not been too much of a winter, but it is still a bit too chilly and windy to be heading out to the park. So, I thought it would be nice to share some of the games that Katelyn and I like to play throughout the day (and ones we hope to play). She's still really little, and most of the time I do feel like I am just entertaining myself, but she smiles and laughs at me, and that makes me feel good about feeling so silly.

It is hard to believe that she is getting so big now that I can find games to play with her! She is sleeping a lot less, and therefore requires more entertainment! At times, I have felt like I am not entertaining enough – so I sought some fun game ideas that I can play with her just to mix things up a little bit from the norm.

Katelyn and I hit up StoryTime at the library today which really got me motivated to make this post happen. Game 1 is what we played today:
Game 1: "There's a Snowflake on my Toe"
We were given a cute paper snowflake prop. Then simply follow the song while laughing a cooing with baby!
There’s a snowflake on my toe…oh no.
There’s a snowflake on my knee…oh gee.
There’s a snowflake on my tummy…oh honey.
There’s a snowflake on my back…oh drat.
There’s a snowflake on my neck…oh heck.
There’s a snowflake on my head… oh dread.  
There is a snowflake falling on my head,
Down my back,
Around my tummy,
To my knee,
And to my toe…oh no!
Game 2: "Baby Hokey Pokey"
Sing to the beat of the regular Hokey Pokey song we all know and love. Katelyn absolutely loves doing this.
You put your arms up
You put your arms down
You put your arms up
And you wave them all around
You tickle, tickle, tickle
And you wiggle, wiggle, wiggle
The baby hokey pokey is fun!
You put your legs up
You put your legs down
You put your legs up
And you wave them all around
You tickle, tickle, tickle
And you wiggle, wiggle, wiggle
The baby hokey pokey is fun!
You put your baby up
You put your baby down
You put your baby up
And wave her all around
You tickle, tickle, tickle
And you wiggle, wiggle, wiggle 
The baby hokey pokey is fun!
Game 3: "Wheels on the Bus"
(Bicycle baby’s legs)
The wheels on the bus go round and round,
Round and round, round and round,
The wheels on the bus go round and round,
All through the town.
(lift baby’s arms up and down)
The people on the bus go up and down.
Up and down, up and down
The people on the bus go up and down
All through the town
(lean baby from side to side)
The wipers on the bus go swish, swish, swish
Swish, swish, swish, swish, swish, swish
The wipers on the bus go swish, swish, swish
All through the town

(touch baby’s nose)
The horn on the bus goes beep, beep, beep
Beep, beep, beep, Beep, beep, beep
The horn on the bus goes beep, beep, beep
All through the town
 

No comments:

Post a Comment