Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future.

Friday, October 03, 2008

Man do I love getting A's!

Just got my first English paper for the semester back and it was a 92% - A! It was a persuasion piece about the welfare system - how it fails, how it's attempting to be solved, and why that plan does not work to the best interest of the American people. I lost points for a small typo where I entered two commas, and I lost points because I used APA instead of MLA format for my works cited page. (Hey it was just like the hand out she gave us, but what can you do?)

Next, I worked hours on top of hours on my history paper for Sir Edmund Andros - a busy, busy man in the 17Th century... I mean I worked HARD, my brain was strained. (I even had to ask my mom to help me find information on the guy from before he became GOV- she found an awesome on-line book that was the best possible source I used!) So it was due date, and I thought I was done. This is a 2-way video conference class, and the instructor happened to be at our campus this morning. She is GREAT! She said e-mail them to her early and she will tell you what you need to fix. I did, She came in and said, she recommends cutting it down... (I had 8 pages!) So I took it home and cut it down over the next week. I submitted it online and she never posted my grade. It has been like three weeks! Other classmates had their grades, so I was curious. I thought something was wrong with it. So I emailed her on WED asking, "did i make a major mistake and you want me to re-write? Did i take too much information out?" Thursday she was at our campus again, and she says, "Lara West...(pause)... excellent paper. I couldn't take off any points because there were no errors... however, you are still very long winded. (I cut it down to 5 pages) You got to tighten up that information." So I got 25/25!

This instructor is great because she does not take off points for a late paper as long as it is a paper that shows you used the extra time to make it a great paper, and if you get less than a B, she gives it back to you and tells you to fix it. She says, "If you fail it once, I didn't do my job right. If you fail to correct it, you didn't do your job right." (and you have all semester to fix it, because she does not give you an actual due date where you loose points. Just can't get too much stuff backed up!)

No comments:

Post a Comment