Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Football Jersey to Toddler Dress

 
It's no secret that our house is a Colts house! With the mass exit of players this year, I'm stuck with 4 jerseys of players that don't exist on our team anymore. I only wear active player jerseys, so I had to do something with them.... and I decided to make Miss K a dress from one.

 
I did not take pictures of making it, but it is pretty basic. I did it with no pattern and in less than 3 hours.
 
You'll see in the picture below that the back is inside-out. This was by design. I got it by ripping the side seams and cutting the front, and cutting the back with the number side up. (I was originally thinking I would put WEST on the back, but decided I liked it as it is.)  

 
Step One: Choose your design.
My original sketch was a one shoulder dress with a ribbon on the opposite side, and a puff sleeve. (Hey, I'm no designer, just going with the little knowledge I have.)
 
Step Two: Gather your materials.
Jersey, Scissors, Ribbon, Thread, Marker, Sewing Machine
 
Step Three: Cut your material.
I eyeballed the measurements because it was pretty easy to guess the size on a dress like this for Katelyn, but you can always take a dress you do like and trace it on the fabric and cut it from there.
 
Step Four: Add Hem.
Fold over the bottom and stitch in a hem on both pieces. Add hem around the sholder piece (if you did one,) and the neck line.
 
Step Five: Make two become one.
Put the pieces together (wrong-to-wrong) and sew the top of the shoulder together. Then sew the sides together. (Be sure to leave a large enough arm hole.)
 
Step Six: Add your ties.
Cut 4 pieces of ribbon and sew into place.
 
Step Seven: Outside Trim.
Turn the dress right-side out. Smile at your handy work, and if you want to add the ribbon trim down the sides like I did, carefully stitch it down the left and right sides of the ribbon. .

 
It's that simple. You can make any shirt a No-SEW dress as well by using Steam-A-Hem, but it won't work so well for the jersey because the iron can't get hot enough on the material to melt the glue. (Trust me, I tried. it will melt the material quickly if you turn it up past nylon/low - and I sat it on the shirt for 20 minutes and it never melted the glue [or the fabric] lol.)
 
I guess I hope that makes sense! It's super simple, next to no skill required.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment