Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Emilia's arrival!


(Monday) I couldn't wait for Emilia's flight to arrive. I had to leave really early for the airport in South Bend because I just couldn't stand waiting around at home any longer. Here is the sign I made for Emilia. I thought it would be welcoming, but then I thought just in case I don't recognize her right away, or if she don't recognize me then I have the sign...but AS soon as she walked off the plane we spotted each other - I still shook it in the air as I rushed to her just because.
We pretty much came right home after she got off the plane. She was tired, and all shopped out from her stay in New York. We ordered Albano's Pizza and just ate at the house for dinner while watching "Back to the Future".
(Tuesday) We both got up and moving around 7ish. We ate some cereal, and chit-chatted while we got ready for the day. At 10am we went to the high school to get her registered. She was not in the system yet, but thankfully she was approved - so there was not much standing in the way of making this happen...except the twenty other new enrollments waiting. But, we waited patiently, and finally got in to see one of the Assistant Principals.
But then...it would be a while before the counselor could see us because they were so backed up. So, Ashlee gave Emilia a tour although we didn't have a schedule. We wanted to be sure the counselor knew Emilia wanted a theater class, and she was just putting a schedule together for her when we walked in! Perfect! So Emilia got to pick all of her classes, and she is excited to have a theater class - and NO math class.
After showing Emilia her locker and teaching her how to work the pad locks (apparently those kind are not popular in parts of Brazil and Sweden), we went to Ashlee's house to pick up her soccer gear, and headed to Carlson's for hot dogs and root beer.
We came back to the house for a few minutes before the game and then I dropped Ashlee and Emilia off at the field. Ashlee introduced her to the team. I came home to mow the yard - but forgot I had to turn on a gas switch, so it didn't work.
I went back to the game about game time and sat with Emilia. She got to meet her host-sister for the week Betsy, her host-mom for the week (We properly titled them co-host family though) Debby and co-host dad Jerry.

Here Emilia is at the Soccer game. This was JV, it was a little more crowded for Varsity.

There is Ashlee (facing us, on the other side of 25) playing full steam.

This is Rachel - I thought Bela might like to see her!

And now, Emilia's first day of school. I know she has to be super nervous, but she played it off really well. She does know where her homeroom class is at, so she can at least get the day started right. I know it is going to be a mad-house, and she was pretty surprised to the police officers outside the school this morning, but she has met lots of teachers and girls to call on for help. Ashlee's locker is thankfully only like six away from hers so she will have her there to point her in the right direction, but however she finds her next class, I know she'll be fine.