Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

NIX-A on the STUPID-A

... okay I know that's not right, but I'm too lazy to look it up. Anyway...

I could be the official idiot of all summer course takers. In my Sociology class we took a test last week, we got it back Monday. I know my answer was right, but it was marked wrong. (There were actually two questions I was debating on, but used my better judgement to let it go.)

So after we took the test today, I asked if she minded explaining to me why my answer was wrong - I mean it's multiple choice for cryin' out loud! - She said okay, I showed her the question:

"The common Ideology of a class system states that success and wealth is typically an indication of:

A. sheer luck
B. family background
C. flaws of society
D. personal talent and effort

I answered D - because clearly written in my class notes (and clearly in the text) it states: Class systems are based on birth and individual achievement...they have an ideology of MERITOCRACY which defines wealth as something to be won and poor as personally undeserving."

Her answer: Sheer Luck.

So I asked, "But I thought Caste systems would be luck. Class systems have to allow for social mobility or how is Michael Jackson famous?" (She used him as an example to explain social mobility. hence they were poor nobodies, and now rich and famous)

Her response: "Well that's what the manual says the answer is."

So... this peeves me just a little bit.... she's not even interested in the correct answer. If she just would have said, here let me look again and got her book out, or asked me to show her why I thought the manual was wrong - and had I been wrong at least I would have the proof, still not happy, but I'd know.

I bite my tongue and walk back to gather my stuff. Then as she smiles so joyfully at me, I say, "You know different people write chapters of the book, tests and the answer key. I bet sometimes a mistake gets overlooked. And if you can't tell me why it's wrong, shouldn't the test reflect what you taught us in class?"

NOW: She doesn't say anything. she just opens her grade book and changes it. Then I offer to get my book out to show her why I think it's right. "No, no it's done. I changed it. You got your one point back." ::::of course by now, I may have had a few immature feelings of just proving I am right:::: I get my book out and yippee Skippie I even have it highlighted.

But let's talk real-world here - she can still find a way to crush my GPA - I mean she offers no homework, no extra credit, the only points you get are the tests - so yes, I wanted my point... but now I feel terrible.

Am I right? Does that not look like the correct answer? Sheer Luck!?!?! - Caste Systems really aren't even luck because most are born poor and have no chance to change - they'd be more family back ground if those were the options I was given.

grrr...grrr....grrr...and one more grrr.....

2 comments:

  1. Take it from this "eperienced" teacher... Answer keys have been known to be wrong! Ask any one that gives a standardized test!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOPPPS the x didn't make it in experience. Sorry

    ReplyDelete