Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future.

Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Benefiting Day

Whewey! This morning was(IS) my PREP morning in the kitchen. Onions, Green Peppers, and Vine Tomatoes were super cheap at the Farmer's Market, and I had some I bought from the grocery when they were on sale as well - so needless to say.. I have A LOT to do while Miss K naps today.

Are you wondering how this is a benefiting day besides the fact that I won't have to cut Onions or Green Peppers for at least the next three months? I love Prep days because they (will) provide a much needed bulk addition of veggies to the Compost Bin. It's a new adventure for us, but I think we'll pick it up in no time. There are a lot of great websites to get you started, if you'd like to start your own compost.

I enjoyed this site for information:
http://web.extension.illinois.edu/homecompost/building.html

The boys (A & D) planted Chris's veggie tray of seedlings while they were here for Spring Break. The tiny garden that we thought was planted too early, has strongly developed. We have successful Tomatoes, Carrots, Broccoli, Jalapenos, and Green Beans. Chris has what could have been the biggest compost pile ever going in the back yard, and that got me thinking.....I couldn't help but think how great it would be to have my own Organic compost to add to the garden mix next year. I mean, come-on! I have all the materials needed (With the exception of the "optional" manure, but a quick post asking for grain fed animal manure on FB has me a big bag of HORSE POOOO waiting for me to pick up. (Thank you Sherill)





My first task was to learn more about compost.


Next, I needed wanted a bin. We already have this huge pile of yard waste, and it is a major eye sore. We went to Menards looking for a compost bin. You can one like this for less than $40. (Or they had them as expensive as $200)

We weren't ready to buy, but just wanted to feed my new obsession with some more knowledge. Check.







I was ready to get this going, but I didn't want to invest ANY new money into it. 
 I found a site showing us a cheap starter bin using a plastic storage bin: http://organicgardening.about.com/od/compost/ht/storagecompost.htm


Storage bins can be pricey, and I really don't have any empty ones just hanging around. BUT, we do have Bojacks (RIP) old dog crate, and we have NO PLANS for a new dog anytime soon. (New dog would get a new crate anyway.) So, this thing is just hanging around on the garage beams anyway, my cheap bin is found.

BONUS #1: No stirring, just flip the bin a few times.
BONUS #2: No Drilling - Ventilation already provided.

My compost is ready to get started, and hopefully I'll have a positive follow-up post in the Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment