Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future.

Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Too Tough a'love?



Had a few students complain about a substitute today. Made my way down there, and witnessed it firsthand. This situation started when one student asked to go next door to sharpen a pencil, then two more students tried to rush out and all go at the same time. The sub called them back in. The girls got lipy at the sub, and then the fun began.

For reasons of a professional nature I am not going to discuss EVERY detail of the happenings… but I will tell you that I personally heard – “You’re Garbage…” “You can’t even read, learn to read and then come get in my face…” and “Shoot, I’m 51 years old and I can take you all out. Every single one of you…”
Interesting, right?

All I could do was keep my head down because part of me was screaming “WAY-TO-GO! This is EXACTLY what this group of student’s needs!” While the other part of me wanted to intervene and tell her how inappropriate her reaction is. I did leave notice with the office secretary just in case she gets some angry parental phone calls tomorrow; she knows that I was in there for this particular incident.

While I truly do feel that these students are out of control and need a motivation such as this, I’m not sure all of the events were completely warranted. I'm more of a LEAD BY EXAMPLE...and NOT a - Do as I say, not as I do person.

No comments:

Post a Comment