Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Recent Read: Freezing


Description: "When a bundle of frozen body parts tumbles out the rear door of a van on a Los Angeles freeway, FBI agent Scott Houston knows just where to go for an off-the-record analysis: Agency 32/1, a non-profit missing persons identification resource center run by forensic anthropologists Jayne Hall and Steelie Lander. Jayne and Steelie quickly determine that the remains are human, though from several women. But Scott’s call has unintended consequences for the two women, putting their lives in jeopardy, as their unique skills uncover evidence leading directly to the killer . . ."

****************************************************

Other than my obsession with the TV series BONES, I'm in no way, shape, or form- intelligent on anything forensic related, but Author Clea Koff made me feel like I was a sexy and brave forensic anthropologist know-it-all in hot pursuit of a killer with the first installment of her Jayne and Steelie Mysteries.

The Know-It-All intelligence comes from the narrator of the story, who lets us in on essential details, but never giving us more information than the characters know. Koff gives the reader a taste of what could be a great love affair to come throughout the story. Oh, the drama of two people who both want each other in the worst  kind of way, but hide their desires behind file folders and voice recorders while working together off-the-record to solve a haunting case from FBI agent Scott Houston's past.

Don't be so foolish, as to let me mislead you though. The love drama has little, if any true part of this tale. The story is in the Agency 32/1 who work hard to put people back in touch with missing loved ones- dead or alive, and the women who make these reunions happen. Enter: Jayne Hall and Steelie Lander. (Maybe I watch too much television, because I totally pictured Rizzoli & Isles playing these parts in my head.)

They've worked together combing through mass graves with the UN, and now with several body parts spilling off the Freeway, and the unofficial resources of the FBI (somewhat) at their disposal, can they help their agent friends find the killer and more body parts across the U.S. before he targets them? 

If you're looking for a good forensic mystery book- this one is worth picking up mi familia! (Bonus- my mum is a main character...well, her name at least. Jayne Hall.)

*****************************************************

Read an Excerpt on the author's website by CLICKING HERE!

*****************************************************
                       
 I wrote this review earlier, but I wanted to add that I emailed the author letting her know how much I enjoyed the book, and while it may be automated (though it came several days later)- here is what she replied with:

Dear Lara,

I just wanted to say thank you very much for reading Freezing and letting me know your thoughts!  I'm taking your interest in the next book as encouragement, having just finished what I hope will be the final revision on that manuscript.  The book will be coming from a new publisher so we may all have a bit of a wait, but you are now on the list to be notified as soon as there's news.  

Many thanks, again.

Clea
 
********************************************************
Me: "But I don't want to wait- I want it NOW!"
 


No comments:

Post a Comment